The Lessman Farm

History of the Farm & Family

 


 

Homepage   Events          

 

 

 

 

 

Truckhenge

 

 

 

 

 

 


Early Farm History

 

Early Family History

 

Modern History


Early History of the Lessman Farm

 

  Before 1859, the lands now part of the Lessman Farm belonged to the Pottawattamie Tribe and was a part of their reservation.  As Kansas began to organize towards Statehood, the Pottawattamies moved north to their current reservation.

 

  In 1859, the Johnstons Family acquired property along the Kansas River, between Tecumseh and Topeka.  In 1864 they built a 3 bedroom house near the Kansas State Leavenworth Highway.  That house is still standing today - I grew up in it!

 


 

 

Early History of the Lessman Family

 

  Gustav Lessman (b. 1839, d. 1925) was born in Bavaria and became a Captain in the Prussian (German) army, before moving to the United States in 1864.  Gustav married Margaret Doran and they had a son, George Lessman (b. 1876, d. 1964).  Three years later, in 1879, they purchased the 120-acre farm from the Johnstons.

 

  George Lessman married Emma in ? and had a son, Fred (b. 1909, d. ?), a daughter, Margaret (b. 1911, d. 1995), and another son, Thomas C. (b. 1917, d. 1986).

 

  Thomas C. Lessman married Betty Brock in 194?, and in 1952 they adopted the twins, Ronald and Donald (b. 1952).  Betty died in 1965, and 3 years later Thomas C. married Annabell Bortz.  Thomas C. retired from Goodyear in 1980 and died in 1986.


Modern Farm & Family History

 

  Ronald Lessman graduated Shawnee Heights in 1971 and married Linda Sinklear (b. 1952) in 1977.  They had a very good son soon after, Thomas A., (b. 1977) and an annoying hellion of a daughter, Brook (b. 1979).

 

  In 1995, Ronald became the sole owner of the farm, and began a series of changes that brought the Quonset House, the Catfish Pond, and Truckhenge.


 

 

Website Main Pages:

| Homepage | Contact Us | News & Info | Links |

 

Tour the Lessman Farm:

| The Farm | Family | Quonset House | Catfish Pond | Truckhenge | Farm History |

 

 

* This site and all content are Copyright Thomas Lessman, 2005 to Present